
So I have been debating whether or not to write a post of the Utes season. My reasoning for not wanting to was that I didn't want to sound like I was bragging or belittling the team down south or its fans. But hey, all is fair in love and football and I would hope they would do the same. This season started with so much hype surrounding BYU and their 14 ranking in the polls. I had even convinced myself that Utah was an inferior team, that Max Hall and Austin Collie were the best 1-2 punch since Brady-Moss, and that I was going to have to see BYU go to a BCS game. Not much fun for a Utah fan. My only hope for the season was that we could pull out a close 2nd and possibly a Las Vegas bowl berth. However as the season dragged on I began to see that BYU had some issues it needed to work on (pass defense anyone?) and Utah was quietly taking care of business. BYU escaped a close one to the worst team the PAC-10 has ever seen and Utah, as usual in the regular season, seemed to play to the level of its competition but eventually pulling out each game. In contrast to 2004 I never had a feeling of superiority over any team (Weber & Utah St. excluded). It just felt like this season was going to be a heart-breaker. (Little did I know that the AP was going to be the one to break it.) When BYU lost to TCU I was slightly disappointed. I really was looking forward to two 11-0 teams meeting in late November with the conference title & a BCS berth on the line. I also got really afraid of TCU. After Utah pulled out one of the most amazing games I have EVER seen against that same TCU team. I knew we were in for something special this season. When Utah pummeled BYU in the final game of the regular season, my only thought was that I hope we ge a quality opponent in the BCS. Turns out we got an opponent that was over-hyped, over rated, and severely over-matched. Alabama. Now we ALL know that the BCS brass were thinking that "they were gonna show Utah a thing or two about football." But what they didn't understand is that we here in the Mtn. West have heart and, when the situation arises, can play with anyone in the country. Yes, even USC & Florida. During any given season, Utah, BYU, TCU and even Boise St. are better than 90% of the teams in the nation. This season however, Utah was better than 99%. Utah handed Alabama a beating worse than Rocky vs. Ivan Drago and earned itself a number 2 ranking in the AP polls. Amazing. Mind-blowing. And as Kevin would say. Unbelievable. A number 2 ranking for a non-BCS team in the day of the BCS is unheard of. Some would say (myself included) even more amazing than the infamous 1984 season of BYU (where they only played 1 team with a winnig record and somehow won the national championship......) or the season where Utah basketball made it to the NCAA championship game. Regardless of those opinions Utah opened the door for the next non-BCS team to have a shot at the BCS national championship. Utah was the original BCS buster, the first team to go to the BCS twice and hoefully the first non-BCS team to end up in the BCS national championship game. Utah will have some rebuilding to do next year so its chances of returning are slim. But next year, if for some reason BYU can pull out a win at Oklahoma and finish undefeated; you're welcome and good luck. 13-0.
1.10.2009
The Quest, Perfected (or) 1984: No More!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 write a comment:
Not so fast 1984 still works because BYU's undefeated brought a National Title, not just a conference championship and a perfect record. Utah is probably one of the best number 2 teams that there will ever be from the state of utah!!
Seriously you posted that as "Anonymous." Although I guess I can't blame you, I too would be embarrassed if I had to suffer through last season's "Quest for perfection" debacle. The 1984 "championship" was a joke. Every one outside Utah valley knows it. And not only that it directly led to the formation of the BCS...nice one. The college football world thanks you.
What's up! Yes I was VERY VERY surprised. I lost money on that game. Even up to the kick off I truly beleived Utah had at most a 1-50 chance. Did u see that Alabama player at the coin toss say we are going to kill u. I thought this is over for Utah. When having a great season things do have to go your way. I watched on TV the Oregon St game, could've maybe should've lost but didn't. I was at the TCU game-they owned Utah for 57 minutes. Yet Utah pulled it out. It doesn't matter how u win only that u do. Back to the BAMA game. I've never been more surprised in my ENTIRE life concerning sports than I was after the first quarter(I was surprised that Phelps won all 8 golds a miracle). BAMA-was out played, out coached, out prepared and over all out matched. I was happy to lose my 15 bucks. This would have been a great year to have a play off. If Utah was to lose in that playoff it would have happened to either Florida or USC. That is a compliment. I do believe that they could have beat either one as well as lose to them. If nothing else they prove that their should be a playoff, if nothing else the MTN. WEST should have an automatic bid. Congrats UTES, and pray for a miracle on sept.5th, BYU is going to need all the help they can get playing in the new DALLLAS COWBOY stadium, Bradford is returning for OK, uh oh. OH, loved the alien picture of Olivia, I'm sure my brother is Laughing his arce OFF. GO MTN. WEST!!!!!!
Jason Hinds
I'm Kevin's little brother
Anonymous...i am so glad that are so able to actually write that comment with Pride..typical BYU fan to yell something at your in a crowd, but apologize while urinating in his pants when he gets singled out. Good call. It is really pathetic that someone would even think that 1984 was even a comparison to 2009. That is like saying the Houston Rockets championships were legitimate in 1995,1994 even though they didn't have to play against Jordan. Pathetic, i am glad that you posted as anonymous because if your name were posted and by the off-chance i knew you, and happen to pass you on the streets, i would have to flip you some loose change, because it is obvious that you have no sense.
Post a Comment